Racism is defined as a belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race.… Racism is also is the word that Don Lewis uses to describe what his proposed segregated hoops league is not motivated by. So this guy, Don “Moose” Lewis in a report on BET.com is described as a Georgia-based boxing and wrestling promoter and described by myself as a straight up lunatic. You see, the All-American Basketball League, the league that “Moose” Lewis is hoping to kick off this summer is to be comprised of 12 team’s composed of all-white, American born men. I don’t think that it’s that far of a stretch to say that most of us are, at least a little bit, guilty of racism. I mean, for me to say that white people aren’t as good dancers as blacks, which I believe to be fact, is a racist statement. Mexicans are bad drivers, (hella slow anyway) a racist statement. Asians are only good in academics, racist. We’re all racist in our own little way. What concerns me about “Moose” is not that he might be a blatant racist, but that he is guilty of the crime of being down right ignorant. He claims “there is nothing hatred about what we’re doing, I don’t hate anyone of color, but people of white American-born citizens are in the minority now”. He goes on to say, “here’s a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like”. “Moose” defines “fundamental basketball” as different from the “street-ball’ played by people of color. Mr. Lewis, contrary to what you might say, you, my friend, are very much a racist, but more than that, even when your ancestors didn’t think any more of black people than the dirt on the bottom of there Nunn Bush shoes, we were at least good enough to cook their meals, care for their children, clean their homes, and always, always entertain them. The fact that you could hate a race of people so much that you would be willing to start a league and put an inferior product (that’s not racist for we all know that the N.B.A. bolsters the best basketball talent in the world) on the floor is scary to me.
This cocktail of ignorance and hatred strikes me as a dangerous combination, and like Kanye said, “racism’s still alive, they just be concealin’ it”; and then mix in a little “stupid”, whoa!. The list of the gross fallacies found in recent reports about Mr. “Moose’s” new league are as follows:
- he says that “it’s more about restoring the game to the way it was before the saturation of African Americans…. because of the fact that natural athleticism of people of color is different.” Uhhh, excuse me Mr. “Moose” do you remember a gentleman by the name of Jimmy “the Greek” Snyder. He was fired from a major network that was paying him millions of dollars for making such claims. How can you say that’s not racist.
- he says, “coaches look for the quickest way to win so they go for natural athleticism instead of the natural fundamentals of a white player.” You damn fool, thats why they’re still in business, hint, hint… and oh yeah, are you implying, Mr. “Moose” that Chris Paul “crossing somebody over” almost out of their jock strap is not fundamental? Really?
- he ask, “would you want to go to a game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch? That’s the culture today.” Uhhh, are you maybe using a few isolated incidents to label an entire race as “savages”, okay, same excuse your ancestors used when they came and took the Indians land.
- he smooths it out by saying “I know there’s bad apples of every color, but like my wife says, let the numbers speak for themselves…. turn on the local TV news and who do you see? Facts are Facts. Now, imagine the safety and quality of play at games where there’s none of that.” Uhhh, you, Mr. White man “Moose”, a.k.a masa, are afraid of … moi??
- he goes on to say, “guys like Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash” who he said exemplify the type of characteristics that he’s talking about. Uhhh Mr. “Moose”, why don’t you ask either of them if they’d like to play with all white players. I don’t think so.
- he continues to say, “look at Larry Bird…. he was a very good player, but if he was a black player he wouldn’t be considered in the same league as Michael Jordan. But he was white and entertaining. That’s why people liked him. Uhhhhh, Mr. “Moose” you’re a damn fool, though he might not have been as been as athletic, if you don’t think that Larry Bird is one of the best players of all time, then your basketball acumen is definitely suspect and I truly question if you qualify to run a league of any sort.
- he claims that “fans have spoken to AABA asking to restore on court sanity to the game of basketball. Their pleas are our mission.” uhhhh, what fans? The ones that also have a membership in your chapter of the Klan? I damn sure wasn’t the same fans that voted for this years All Star teams.
- finally, Mr. “Moose” states that “…. fundamentally sound [W]hite players are a dying species. Uhhh, I give up! What’s the difference in your proposed league and the N.B.A. circa 1955, when the league struggled to attract fans but, white people were showing up in droves to see The Harlem Globtrotters.
Mr. “Moose”, your idea is both profoundly and undeniably racist, for all the above reasons. It is intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer that you assume that black people are great basketball players, not because they worked hard from an early age to perfect their skills-but because they were just born gifted. Hey, here’s another good idea-when you form your league, let’s have the games televised only in black and white to viewed only on old black & white TV’s. Then you won’t have to work hard enough to afford a new color flat screen.